Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Book Recommendation: Miss Rumphius

Book image from Amazon.com
Book: Miss Rumphius - a Winner of the American Book Award
Author & Illustrator: Barbara Clooney
Copyright: 1982
Publisher: Picture Puffins
Type: Read Aloud, suggested for K-2 grades
Where to get it: Your local library or Amazon (you can get used or new)
More information on the book: Scholastic website

Why~
Recently, a parent asked me what book I would recommend to her young daughter. I suggested that she read Miss Rumphius because the book contains beautiful illustrations, higher level vocabulary and a powerful message.

Barbara Clooney uses interesting words and phrases, such as: wharves, bristling masts, prows of ships, conservatory, and several others. Her words flow on the pages just like the calming scenery. A gentle journey through Miss Rumphius' life with a repeated and compelling message: "You must do something to make the world more beautiful."

I suggest this book for all children because it encourages one to follow their dreams, but to give back to their communities. Further, I recommend this book because it fits with my life and teaching philosophy: learning is great but we must do something with it. I highly recommend this book for parents and educators to read to children.

Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and checking out my blog! I appreciate you taking the time to comment as well. I always enjoy listening to what others have to say and connecting with my readers.